Sunday, February 21, 2010

About Me

Why another blog on weight loss? Aren't there enough already? Maybe so, but I need this one. I firmly believe that this journey is 90% mental, and most of what I need to go through to tackle my issues is in my head. Writing is a great way to sort out these thoughts--I'm too cheap for a therapist, so here I am.

So what do you need to know about me? I am a forty-something mother of three, happily married, full-time outside the home professional, who has struggled her entire life with weight issues. I also am a thyroid cancer survivor, with no thyroid function currently.

It was because of the last condition that I ran headlong into the title of this blog. My endocrinologist, having seen me lose about 8 pounds over about two months, only to gain 10 pounds over a two week vacation, suggested I might need more help than a program like WeightWatchers could provide.

She suggested either a lap band procedure or an off-label use of a diabetic drug (which I would have to inject into my own belly a couple of times a day). I have to say that I started crying in the office at the suggestion.

After the shock wore off, I realized that I really hadn't done everything I could do on my own. I never have been great at exercising, and I have a lot of issues about completely owning everything I put in my mouth. I realized that with either of the methods proposed by the endocrinologist, I would need to control my eating and exercise. Based on this, I rededicated myself to the weight loss journey.

What has worked for me so far has been doing WeightWatchers online. Since I live overseas, it's the most practical approach for me. I started the most current iteration of this journey at 278 pounds, in August, 2009. I'm currently at 264.4 pounds. You may have noticed that the weight is not coming off quickly--believe me, I've noticed this too. But here's my motto: Never give up. No matter what. I'm confident that if I keep at this I'll eventually get the results I want: a healthier, stronger body that will enable me to do the things I want in life--be a vital wife, mother, employee, hiker, etc.

Well, I think this will do for a first post.

No comments:

Post a Comment