Monday, February 22, 2010

Traversing the plateau--I want to get off!

Well, as you can probably tell, I've been on a plateau since the holidays. While it's good I haven't gained, I have way too much weight to lose to be "maintaining."

So I'm really thinking about what to do to break through this plateau. When I look at my journals and think about my journey, several things are clear.

1. I don't journal consistently--weekends and evenings are tough to capture.
2. I'm not drinking enough water.
3. Portion sizes are approximate.

I guess I can see pretty quickly why this weight isn't leaping off. In the short term, here are my goals:

1. Journal not only during workdays, but also evenings and weekends.
2. Up my water intake.
3. Start measuring some "problem" foods for me--generally my carbs, natch :)

Along with this, I need to continue with the exercise. I know I need to do this to spur the weight loss, especially with the thyroid condition. I read a book called "The Thyroid Diet", and the author maintains that for those with a thyroid condition, exercise is a MUST. I have to face this reality. I have lost a large amount of weight before without exercising on WW, but that was before the thyroid issues.

The other interesting, more positive part of exercising is that it actually makes you FEEL BETTER in your daily activities. I have a vacation coming up in about a month, and I do not want to feel limited in my activities. I want to be able to swim and walk more comfortably. I don't want to freak out if I see a couple of flights of stairs. I don't want to be as squished on the plane. All these are powerful motivators if I remember to focus on them. I have lots of good opportunities for exercise in the evening, between my treadmill and the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. Just have to do it. So as part of this blog, I'm going to track these goals--Woohoo! So let's see how I do this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment