Friday, April 16, 2010

Lasagna and coping with stress...

Ate the last of my crockpot lasagna yesterday. Here's the recipe:

Crockpot Lasagna

Ingredients

1 pound(s) uncooked lean ground beef (with 7% fat)

1 small onion(s), chopped
1 medium garlic clove(s), minced

28 oz canned crushed tomatoes

15 oz canned tomato sauce
1 tsp table salt
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
1 cup(s) part-skim ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cup(s) part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
6 item(s) dry lasagna noodles, no-cook
1/2 cup(s) shredded Parmesan cheese, strong-flavored like Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano
Instructions
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef, onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes; simmer 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together ricotta cheese and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
Spoon 1/3 of beef mixture into a 5-quart slow cooker. Break 3 lasagna sheets in half and arrange over beef mixture; top with half of ricotta mixture. Repeat with another layer and finish with remaining 1/3 of beef mixture.
Cover slow cooker and cook on low setting for 4 to 6 hours. Remove cover; turn off heat and season to taste, if desired.
In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over beef mixture. Cover and set aside until cheese melts and lasagna firms up, about 10 minutes. Yields 1/6th of dish per serving.
Notes
To boost your vegetable intake, add a can of zucchini in tomato sauce to the meat mixture. You can also add 2 cups of sliced shiitake mushrooms to the beef mixture.

It was very yummy. I'm not good (yet) with posting pix, or waiting long enough to take a picture before woofing food down. Maybe next time.

I definitely was on a eating tear yesterday. I think it was the nasty PMS monster, but I definitely was targeting salt and sugar. I did limit my consumption of chocolate chip cookies to only two and left the other two in the package at home. I have no doubt that my little darlings will make quick work of them. I was also stressed out by parent-teacher conferences. I really do not enjoy them--I had to navigate some really stressful rush hour traffic, only to wait around past my appointment time to see a teacher who decided that she was referring my kindergartener to the school psychiatrist because she seems to have her good and bad days...HELLO, she's five--doesn't everyone have good and bad days? Anyway, I guess I didn't do too badly considering.

I'm trying to stop the damage there. So far today I've stuck to my tried and true meals (oatmeal with a dab of peanut butter, bulgogi soup, a 100 calorie pack of chex). I have a happy hour tonight where I hope to rant and rave a little with fellow moms from school. Since I'll be driving I know I won't be drinking more than two drinks, so it should be within the calorie allotment for today. Have a good weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. There was something in the water yesterday, I think we all had an issue! Good for you for keeping it in control and I hope that happy hour was great!

    Thanks for the recipe, it sounds DE-LICIOUS

    ReplyDelete