Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Children are so clear...

I was watching Dr. Oz the other day with my youngest, A--she's 5. She wanted to snuggle with me, so she was putting up with watching a grownup show. I do worry about her from time to time. She's really tall for her age, but she's also a little pudgy. I just worry about her because of my husband and my propensity for being overweight. Anyhow, we're watching the show, and there's a very graphic demonstration of what your arteries look like if you're a diabetic. Basically, he used a plastic tube with a sludgy paste (too much sugar) poured through it, loaded up with some chunks of styrofoam (cholesterol), then tried to pour red liquid through it (blood). It looked a mess. Right then, A shouted at me--I never want diabetes!!!!

It really opened up a good dialogue about how eating the right things can help you avoid diabetes, especially if it doesn't already run in your family (luckily it does not for either my husband or I). She told me I'd better be packing more fruits and veggies in her snack. What a great teachable moment. She also told me I was a little fat and I'd better do something about it--I said I knew that I was, and that I'd already lost 15 pounds, and was working to do more. All that made her pretty happy. It's amazing how clear and simple things are for kids...I have to remember this for later when things seem so complicated.

3 comments:

  1. Kids always put it to you straight, lol. You should go back through my archives from a month or so ago and find the one about A Lesson On Cookies...it was inspired by my niece, lol. Excellent teachable moment. I have diabetes, so I'm so glad to hear your little one say that she never wants to get it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, kids tell it like it is, huh? That's awesome that you took advantage of that teachable moment. I worry about my two boys and what they are learning from DH and my habits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I nominated you for a blog award on my blog. Come check it out :) http://patienceprogressperseverance.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete