Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Frittatas are good!

Glad to report that I managed to make the egg white frittata I was talking about yesterday, and it actually came out really well! Not sure that it technically qualifies as a frittata, but I bought a red pepper and some zucchini, which I sauteed with onion in a little olive oil. Once these were nice and soft, I added in some lean chopped up ham. I put this in a rectangular casserole with about a cup and a half of southern style frozen hash browns. I poured about a cup and a half of egg whites over this mix, then sprinkled a tiny bit of grated parmesan over the top. I cooked it until the middle was firm, probably a half hour at 400 degrees. I sliced it into about 6 squares, which when I put it into recipe builder came out to about 3 pts. apiece. Had this with some cut up apples this morning for breakfast--very indulgent! Once I figure out how to take and post photos better, I'd like to post some pix.

It's good I made some soft food, because I woke up with a hella toothache this morning! I have been doing lots of dental work lately, catching up on work not done over the last four years in Russia. Don't ask me why, but I was very hesitant about going to the dentist there--their medical standards are not that great, IMHO, and the traffic was TERRIBLE. I felt like I was taking my life in my hands every time I went out, so I rarely took trips that I deemed "optional." Anyhow, now I'm paying the price. I was at the dentist last week, got started on a root canal on one side of my mouth, and now I have a toothache on the other side, where I have had a tooth that has already been a lot of trouble over the years. Sigh. Maybe I'll be forced on an all liquid diet if both sides are out of commission.

I did continue to write everything down last night. I even did this before deciding whether to have a dessert. In fact, I chose a yogurt because I hadn't gotten much dairy in during the day. Wow, I'm almost acting like a rational grownup here, eating healthy and getting dental work done...what's next, doing my taxes well before April 15? Well, let's not get too crazy here.

I also did at least a token amount of exercise last night--15 minutes of the Sansone video. My muscles felt really tired from the night before, so I did not push too hard. My goal is still to be strong enough for our upcoming trip to Australia (end of March) to enjoy our activities there. Luckily, I don't see any half-marathons in our future, so we should be OK. I have had too many vacations where I'm sitting and watching the action, and I don't like that--I want to be part of it! So I have to keep that in mind when I want to wimp out on the exercise. Life is too short to be spent sitting on the bench.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I found my way over here from your comment on my blog. Your frittata sounds yummy! I'm always looking for new breakfast ideas.

    I'm looking forward to following your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "So I have to keep that in mind when I want to wimp out on the exercise. Life is too short to be spent sitting on the bench."

    I feel that way, too! It is a great motivator when we want to put it off. Good job doing the Leslie Sansone, whether or not you felt like it. "-)
    Loretta
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete